20 February 2014

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind




How happy is the blameless vestal’s lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray’r accepted, and each wish resign’d
        ― Alexander Pope, Eloisa to Abelard



A quote from the movie, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind I watched recently. An extraordinary 2004 movie which took 10 years for me to watch it.....but indeed, worth the wait. A movie where romance and sci-fi were combines so flawlessly. Easily among my favorite movies whenever I try to recall any.

If given a chance, would you erase all memories on someone you wished you've never met, so that all those pains can be wiped away? I remembered telling my daughter once that I wish I could erase all memories about a person I once loved so much coz it hurts like crazy every time the thought of him came lingering into my mind.

But all that changed after I watched this movie. ESOTSM is a story of a couple who undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories when their relationship turns sour, but is is only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with.

This is one movie which had that inspiring effect on me. The rarest of all films and a great work of art, that is. One thing I learned from this movie is that erasing any incident, nice or bad from our memories wouldn't do us any good at all. It is from those experienced that we learned to become a stronger person we are today.

Well, would it be an eternal sunshine when the mind is spotless? Are we truly happy if all bad experiences been removed from our mind? Is ignorance a total bliss? Those are the questions that would be running through our minds after watching this movie.

I hesitate to call it a romantic movie as it is more on relationship with a touch of some sci-fi elements. Absolutely brilliant screenplay & unique in its own way. To those who haven't got the chance to watch it, please do so....you won't regret it !











0 comments:

Post a Comment