01 June 2011

Mini Shopoholic



Becky Brandon is back! But this time, she has an accomplice. In Sophie Kineslla’s latest offering, Becky is joined by her daughter Minnie, who, at the age of two, can already hail a cab and ask to be taken to Starbucks for a muffin.

I didnt know about this sixth installment of Sophie Kinsella’s Shopaholic series until a friend (who knew I am the big fan of Sophie Kinsella) told me about it. As usual, I would always wait for the paperback version though it would means months of waiting. Then, my BFF surprised me by sending me the electronic version of the said book which doesnt cost me a single cent !

So, what's the verdict? Honestly, I dont really like it as compared to the first 5 series - Becky really disappoints me this time around. Since I have read the other books in the series, I do realized that Becky has her issues and doesn't always tell the truth. But, in the previous books, she made me laugh and I could see the view from her side.

In Mini Shopaholic, I could not sympathize with her at all. I lost my patience with her lies and denials. I couldn't take it anymore during the moving scene where Becky has lied to her parents about getting a house and tries to avoid telling them the truth with even more lies and insanity. I was practically shouting, "Just tell the truth bitch!"

Perhaps what bothered me the most in this book was that not only is Becky not growing up and learning from her mistakes, but she's passing her bad behaviors on to her daughter. Her parenting is awful and that's just irresponsible. Maybe this was supposed to be funny, but I couldn't laugh about it.

I know I'll continue to read the series because I love the first few books so much, but this one just didn't do it for me.


0 comments:

Post a Comment