25 March 2010

Namdaemun Market




Honestly, I have so many things to write about my trip to Seoul. It's just that I cant really find the time to sit down & blog about it. From morning to late evening I'll be in the customer's office where there's no access to the internet. When I got back to the hotel, I'll be too tired to face the laptop anymore. The only time left is in the morning before going to the customer's office but then I'll be busy attending to the office e-mails during that mere 1 hour period.




This particular entry is written while waiting my emails to be downloaded. As mentioned in my earlier entries, I've managed to go for a sightseeing visit around the city. What I'm gonna do now is to write one entry for one place I've visited. With that, I'll start with the Namdaemun Market.

The only halal food available in the market


It might not be THE place to visit in Korea, but it should be in your Top 10 List, if not Top 5. Namdaemun is a very large open market in Seoul. The word "Namdaemun" means the "Great South Gate," and was the main southern gate to the old city. You can find anything here from fresh fish to books and all sort of stuff in between. For those who intend to buy souvenirs, this is the best place to get them.



Being in Namdaemun reminded me of Petaling Street - only it's 5 times bigger. It is very crowded and labyrinthian that you need plenty of time to explore & find your way back since you'll be very prone to get lost. This market was a great place to experience the Korean culture while having fun shopping. However, it is still considered expensive for Malaysians to shop here though it's the cheapest place to shop in Seoul.


This is how food is being delivered around the market area - very professional operator!


The market is easily accessible via the subway i.e.
Line 4, Hoehyeon Station Exit 5. The moment you exit from the station, you'll be right in the middle of the market already. You can start do your shopping instantly but just make sure you'd be able to find your way back to the subway station. Anyway, not to worry as there's a Tourist Information booth in the middle of the market in case you get lost.




0 comments:

Post a Comment